This page contains complete and balanced meal recipes & some natural remedies for dogs. I feed a raw fresh food diet. In order to achieve balance over time, it is important to rotate a minimum of 3 proteins. I try not to feed more than 50% chicken. Chicken is high in omega 6’s which can be pro-inflammatory. Therefore it is important to keep this in check in a feeding schedule over time, so it’s not more than 50% of the total diet.
Fish recipes, I choose to feed cooked. I cook fish because raw fish contains an enzyme (thiaminase) which can break down vitamin B1, causing vitamin B1 deficiency. Vitamin B is highly important for your dog. Cooking the fish eliminates this enzyme and removes the risk of creating a deficiency.
The More Variety the Better
Variety and Rotation are the Keys to Balance
Things I Rotate:
- Proteins – a minimum of 3
- Multi-mineral and Vitamin Supplements
- Brands – of commercially prepared raw food and supplements
I rotate homemade recipes that don’t require a multivitamin and mineral supplement in order to be balanced with recipes that do require a multivitamin and mineral supplement. And I rotate Isabella’s proteins, 3 minimum. I also use some commercially prepared raw food which helps out a little on meal prep. I’m finding as time goes by the amount of commercial prepared raw food I’m buying is shrinking.
The recipes that don’t require a supplement to be balanced have more whole food ingredients that fill in the blanks of the required minerals and vitamins. You may have heard the term “Balance Over Time”, I use this method of feeding, it works great for us. I also give daily supplements.
Note: Daily supplements are different from a multi-mineral & vitamin supplement. Daily supplements are just that, daily supplements. They should be given daily. A multivitamin and mineral supplement is used to balance homemade recipes or to balance your dog’s diet.
On my trusted resources page, you will find two multivitamin and mineral supplements I rotate in recipes. They are Hilary’s Blend and Meal Mix. Meal Mix was formulated by Dr. Karen Becker for Mercola Healthy Pets. Dr. Becker is one of my primary trusted resources. So, I have complete confidence in using Meal Mix to balance Isabella’s recipes.
Daily Supplements I use for Isabella:
- Love Bugs (probiotic) 1/8 Tsp daily
- Actistatin Joint Supplement – 2 soft chews daily with meals
- Phyto Synergy (phytoplankton) 1/16 Tsp every other day
- Jamieson’s Omega 3’s – dogs need 150 mg of combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs of body weight daily (as per Mary Strauss – Dogaware). This was affirmed by Dr. Karen Becker in facebook live in September 2018.
- Vitamin E – 30 IU daily (I give 100 IU capsule every 3 days) you can read more from Mary Strauss at Dogaware regarding recommendations on IU’s per lb.
For more detailed information on daily supplements please see my supplement page.
Easy Raw Chicken Recipe | Adult Dogs
- 1.5 lbs
Chicken Wings Raw
grind; don’t cook, cooked bones should never be fed to dogs
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast Raw
- 6 oz Chicken Hearts
- 6 oz Beef Liver
- 4 oz Zucchini
- 3 oz Blueberries
- 2 cans Sardines in Water
- 3 oz Oysters Canned
- 1 oz Flax Seed
- 1 oz Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 tsp Basil
- 1/2 tsp Kelp Powder
- Measure out all the dry ingredients and combine: flax seed, pumpkin seeds, basil and kelp. Grind pumpkin seeds in a coffee grinder.
- Open sardines and oysters and add to the dry ingredient mixture, evenly combine. Set aside in the fridge.
- Wash weigh and finely dice or puree zucchini and blueberries add to mixture. Put back in the fridge.
- Weigh out all the protein chicken wings, chicken breast, chicken hearts and beef liver.
- Put the chicken wings in the freezer to lightly freeze in preparation for going through the meat grinder and any of the other meat that you will grind.
- Grind the chicken wings in a meat grinder (I like to double grind) I prefer to grind all the meat. You can however choose to finely chop the other meat components.
- Grind the chicken wings and other meat.
Combine all ingredients evenly to ensure ingredients are well distributed . Keep enough for 2 day's in the fridge and freeze remainder for up to 4 weeks.
Raw Beef Recipe | Adult Dogs
- 3 lbs raw beef steak (lean cut/cut away any extra fat)
- 1/2 lb raw beef flank steak (fat left on)
- 0.40 lbs raw beef liver
- 3/4 lb raw strawberries
- 1/2 lb raw zucchini
- 50 g sunflower seeds raw, unsalted
- 13 g eggshell powder bone meal may be used instead; see notes below
- 6 g green lipped mussel powder
- 3.75 oz sardines 1 tin; not drained
- 2 oz canned tuna drained
- 3 g dried basil
- 3 g dried parsley
- Measure out dry ingredients and grind sunflower seeds using a coffee grinder; combine evenly
- Mince/ or finely dice the strawberries & zucchini using food processor
- Combine dry ingredients, strawberries, zucchini, canned tuna and sardines
- Weigh raw meet and cut into 1 inch cubes; place in freezer to partially freeze to prepare for grinding in a meat grinder (partially frozen meat goes through easier!)
- Combine all ingredients, serve freeze and portion
Flat Fish / Sole Recipe for Dogs
- 185 grams Blueberries, raw
- 91 grams Broccoli, raw, chopped finely or pureed, best to use a food processor
- 110 grams Carrots, raw, grated or pureed, best to use a food processor
- 101 grams Celery, raw, chopped finely or pureed, best to use a food processor
- 2 grams Cod liver oil
- 460 grams Flatfish/sole, cooked lightly pouched (323 grams cooked)
- 63 grams Honey
- 18 grams Safflower oil
- 61 grams Tomato sauce, canned
- 31 grams Yogurt, plain, low fat
- 15 grams Hilary's Blend supplement
- Poach fish until it flakes easily.
- Pulse blueberries, broccoli, carrots, celery, honey, cod liver oil and safflower oil to small kernels.
- Add Hilary's Blend supplement to the tomato sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Stir all ingredients together. Serve and freeze remaining portions.
I use a food processor to finely mince the broccoli & carrots. Dogs can’t digest cellulose in vegetables. So, it’s important to break the cell wall of the veggies so they are able to get the nutrients from the vegetable content. This recipe is balanced only when Hilary’s Blend Supplement is used and recipe INGREDIENTS and recipe AMOUNTS are followed.I choose to (poach) the fish because raw fish contains an enzyme (thiaminase) which can break down vitamin B1, causing vitamin B1 deficiency. Cooking the fish eliminates this enzyme.
Natural Homemade Tick & Flea Deterrent
- 8 oz Pure Water (filtered)
- 4 oz Organic, raw-unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 10 drops Neem oil is not an essential oil. It's an expelled/pressed oil and it is safe for dogs and cats.
- Mix/shake ingredients till combined.
I learned about this recipe from Dr. Karen Becker. And she say's that If you want to add some extra bang to your dog's pest recipe, go with five drops of lemon, lemongrass, eucalyptus or geranium oil. Dr. Karen Becker likes to use geranium oil quite a bit because she finds it very effective. If you have a dog who comes in contact with ticks, adding the extra punch of one of the essential oils listed can be very beneficial.
Bone Broth (Beef)
- 5 lbs Beef Marrow Bones you can use a variety or just beef marrow bones (approx. 9 bones)
- 4 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar raw, unfiltered
- 4 quarts Water (filtered) enough to cover the bones; water should be about 2 inches over the the bones
- Optional: you can bake the bones for 30 minutes to brown for extra flavour and a clearer broth.
- Fill a 5 Quart slow cooker with filtered water and add 4 tbs of apple cider vinegar. The apple cider vinegar is an important ingredient as it enhances the pulling of the minerals from the bones.
- Add beef bones to the slow cooker filled with water and set on high for about 1 hour and then turn to medium and cook for 24 hours.
- When finished cooking, remove bones and strain to remove any small fragments. Store in fridge till the fat rises to the top and the liquid turns to a gelatin. Remove fat. Portion and freeze.